Education is important in helping you make an informed decision.
Opioids are strong pain relieving medications. In general taking opioids as prescribed is safe and can be beneficial. However, they can also be harmful to your health and well-being. Your doctor wants to make sure that you understand the benefits and risks of taking opioid medications before they prescribe them for you. The following video will provide you with Opioid Education in hopes to allow you to make an informed decision about taking opioids.
Benefits (Good Effects) of Opioids:
- Opioids can let me do my day-to-day activities by decreasing my pain. I understand it will likely not take away my pain completely.
- I understand that other treatments together with opioids can do a better job of decreasing my pain and helping me function than opioids alone. These include physical therapy, exercise, counseling, injections, etc.
- I understand that the benefit of taking opioid medications is to allow me to reach the treatment goals I have discussed with my doctor.
Risks (Bad Effects) of Opioids:
- Starting opioids may cause side effects
- Long term use of opioids can have long term effects
- You may feel more side effects (including drowsiness) when I first start taking opioid medications OR when the doctor increases the dose of the medication.
- You are at higher risk of having an accident or injury during this time, especially if I drive or operate dangerous equipment.
Still have questions about Opioids?
If you have additional questions about taking opioids please talk with your doctor.
At the beginning of the video, a form will be referred to. You can download the “Patient Consent” form. You can also access more information about Midland Care’s Palliative Care program.